Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fussy Eaters: Honey Bran and Choc Chip Muffins

Our Miss Daisy is gradually becoming a better eater. As I've said before though, she has some strange taste preferences. She is quite partial to brocolli, curry and salmon and yet of late has gone off apples and bananas! Go figure!


We've been trying to increase her fibre intake of late and so I made some yummy whole wheat muffins.








I had a recipe for Bran Muffins in my 'Muffin Bible' so I changed it up a bit to make it a little more appetizing for fussy taste buds!


Honey, Bran & Choc Chip Muffins


Ingredients
1 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
1 1/4 cups oat bran
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I make my own, scroll down to see how!)
1/4 cup honey
1 egg
2 tblsp rice bran oil (or vegetable oil)
1/4 cup choc chips


Method
- Combine flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda & choc chips in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, beat together buttermilk, egg, honey and oil.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. (It might seem a little wet. Let it sit while you grease or line your muffin pans and it'll thicken up a little!)
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans. (I made 48 mini muffins)
- Bake in preheated oven at 190'C for 15-20 minutes, or until they spring back when touched.



These were a hit! Miss Daisy ate several of them after her lunch and a couple more on our trip to the shops for coffee/babycino's with Nanna! Success! Yum!





Making your own buttermilk is easy and cost effective. The way I learned to do it was to add a little lemon juice to your regular milk. I usually use 1 cup of milk to 1 Tbs of lemon juice. Stir well and let sit for around 10 minutes. Then use as per your recipe! Easy and cheaper than buying speciality milk!





post signature