Sunday, January 22, 2012

Making Rainbow Rice

So I've found myself frequently on Pinterest (you can follow me here!) lately! Mostly because hubby and I are sharing one computer and he's usually on it! So my iPhone allows me to blog, facebook, instagram and browse pinterest... amongst other useless games etc!

Looking for ideas for play/education for toddlers I found this pin for some Rainbow Rice and thought I'd give it a shot! A cheap alternative to sand or water play. Easy to store and fairly mess free!


Keep reading to find out how you can make some Rainbow Rice!

What you will need:
2kg bag of rice
stainless steel bowl
vinegar
2 baking trays covered with baking paper
food colouring

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to about 180'C (whilst ensuring toddler doesn't jump off bench! Don't stress Nanna, I promise she's safe!)

2. Put 1 1/2 cups rice into your bowl and add 1-2Tbs of vinegar, (I found 1 Tbs was sufficient) and a few drops of food colouring (I was generous here though!)


3. Mix it up really well until the rice is evenly coated with colour, add more colouring if you wish for a more vibrant colour.

4. Put the rice onto your baking tray (Next time I will have a separate piece of baking paper for each colour so they pour of easily!)


5. Rinse your bowl and repeat with as many colours as you wish, we did the four basic colours from the pack but will venture into purples and oranges next time! I see a lesson in primary and tertiary colours coming on! :)


6. Place your baking trays in the oven, check regularly to see if rice is dry. I think it only took about 15 minutes for the rice to dry out.

7. Remove from the oven and let it cool, it may be a little clumpy so as it cools run it through your fingers to separate. And...

...Voila you have Rainbow Rice for hours of cheap, reusable fun!

Here is just some of the play time fun we've had with our Rainbow Rice!
___

This little cutie has been toilet training so well the last few days! We've had #2's sorted for awhile now the last few days we seem to be mastering #1's! 

She went 3 times at church today and had a dry nappy from 9am - 2pm! Clever thing!
 Hooray for nearing no nappies - well, until bub arrives in June! :-)


The Pinterest Challenge