Monday, August 29, 2011

Tutorial - Sewing a Double Knot Hat for Baby - Includes Pattern

If you are expecting or know someone who is these are the perfect little accompaniment to any baby gift! Look back at some other great baby gift ideas.

It only took me 15 minutes to cut and sew each of these so it's the perfect last minute gift... even if you only find out the baby's sex the night before your visit! Another easy last minute gift for boys are these wee wee tee-pees! :)


I am trying my hand at a tutorial on this one - included is a free PDF pattern! The PDF makes a newborn size hat but can easily be adjusted to suit a child of any age, perhaps even an adult! Come on in and make this super easy and super cute Knot Hat.

Here is the PDF download available FREE to you! :) 
(I hand wrote the text and they've done some sort of type over on it...grrrr... if anyone knows how to get rid of it I'd love to know) I will try and fix it asap! 

This one is for a newborn hat but you can easily adapt it with your child's head measurement. I used a similar hat of Miss Daisy's made by Dunlop {hand me down - perhaps it came with a pair of volleys?} that was super cute on her little newborn head!

KnotHatPattern


Included in the pattern sheet is the pattern piece for a single knot and a double knot hat. 
As well as the rectangular piece used to make the 1 inch band.
(You could make a wider band by increasing the width of this piece)



Here is how it's done:

You will need:
* Pattern download (available above in newborn size)
(Alternatively use your child's head circumference measurement or an existing hat for custom measurements.)
* 2 x Stretch Knit Fabrics of your choice (for this pattern I used a onesie that never fit Miss Daisy and a cut-off  of an old pink t-shirt of mine for the band.)
* Sewing supplies: scissors/rotary cutter, sewing machine, thread etc

1 . Cut out your pattern pieces. You will need 2 x hat pieces and 2 x band pieces. (take note of which way your <-----stretch-----> should be - this is included on pattern)

2. Place the hat pieces with right sides together and sew around all edges (leaving the base open) using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Knit fabrics can be a little finnicky so you will need to use a zig-zag stitch so that your stitching has a little give in it. (I would've loved to use my overlocker but not quite confident to play with stitch settings yet! Next time!)

Place your two rectangular pieces for the band right sides together and sew the two shorter ends (using your zig-zag stitch again) (See green band below)

(Click on the photo below to enlarge)


3. Looking again at the photo above, the pink band demonstrates the next step. Fold the band in half lengthwise so that the wrong sides are now facing. You should now have approximately a 1 inch band.

4. Turn your hat right side out and place the band around the base of it with raw edges meeting. Align your side seams to keep it nice and neat! :)
Pin to keep it in place and sew around with your zig-zag stitch.


5. Turn the band down and voila (my new fave word it seems!) you have a cute little newborn cap - I love the Noddy-ish look the knots give! 


Here is a photo of both of them together... I made the second one from an old t-shirt of my hubby's! :)
 (It looks rather cute with a single knot - although I can't say the same for the strange looking pattern piece!)


Just wish my little miss was small enough - It's amazing how she's grown since wearing that cute little Dunlop hat... off I go to make a custom sized hat! 

Let me know how you go - post a link in the comments section below I'd love to see your creations.

Happy Sewing!







Linking up to:


 


{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations




post signature