As I mentioned in this weeks Meal Planning post, I borrowed a few cookbooks from the library this week to add some new healthy meals to our repertoire.
One was the Biggest Loser Best Recipes book, published in 2009. I'm in love!
Here are two recipes from this cookbook with a few minor changes/additions. This made one very delicious meal! Yummy!
adapted from The Biggest Loser Cookbook, 2009
500g chicken mince
50g rocket (finely chopped)
(On hubby's request I also added some fresh coriander & basil from our potted herbs)
1/2 cup cous cous (uncooked)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1/2 tsp paprika
2 cloves of garlic
Preheat oven to 180'C
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, leave chicken mince until last to ensure an even spread of flavours.
2. Refrigerate for 10 minutes (or more if you're making ahead of time)
3. Wet hands and roll mixture into oval shaped koftas. This will make approximately 10-12 ovals.
4. Grease/line a baking tray and spread koftas evenly over tray
5. Cook for 20 minutes or until golden. I turned mine at 20 minutes and left them for another 5-10 minutes but this may vary depending on your oven.
Cous Cous & Rocket Salad
also adapted from Biggest Loser Cookbook, 2009
Mixed Roast Vegetables (approx 500g) *
1 cup Cous Cous
1 cup boiling water
1 cup rocket (roughly chopped)
1/2 red onion (sliced)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tsps red wine vinegar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
* I used 2x zucchini, 1/4 butternut pumpkin, 1/2 eggplant (Cut each of your vegetables into 2cm cubes. Roast pumpkin at 250'C for 10 minutes, then add other vegetables for a further 20 minutes.) I also roasted some sliced red capsicum (because I love it!)
Preheat oven to 250'C
1. Place pumpkin pieces in baking tray and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 10 minutes then add eggplant, zucchini and red capsicum (also sprayed lightly with oil)
Roast for further 20 minutes or until cooked. Set aside.
2. Combine the couscous and boiling water in a bowl, mix with a fork and cover. Stand for 5-7 minutes.
3. Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine.
4. Loosen the couscous with a fork until it is light and fluffy. Add the roast vegetables, onion, capsicum and rocket leaves. Mix the dressing through the salad until coated.
Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!