Thursday, November 22, 2012

Slow Cooker :: Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup

Do you have a slow cooker? I do, and I love it. I usually reserve it for the winter months and love the warmth it brings the house as the soups, stews and curries simmer through the day.

With our oven out of action I have had to utilise other methods of cooking and the slow cooker has seen an extended period of use this year! I even managed to 'bake' my banana bread in it last week! I was suitably impressed - same recipe/ingredients and it spent nearly 2 hours in the slow cooker. It was amazing.

We have a little joke around here. I'm not even sure what the joke is. But is basically goes that if it's anything other than baking I must follow recipes exactly or it's a disaster! Give me sugar and flour and I can create you a masterpiece. (Well, there was that one disaster!) Spices and sauces... and well, it's usually a disaster that my darling hubby has to fix!

So it was no surprise that when he arrived home to me 'cooking' dinner in the slow cooker on Monday he turned up his nose. It's chicken soup, I said. He scoffed. It smells nice, I added. He wrinkled his nose. Maybe you can just taste it, I tried. 

His response? What's in it? Did you use a recipe?

Uh oh, he asked that question. He always asks that question! Now I had to fumble my way around why I didn't use a recipe. He noticed the can of condensed sweet corn soup on the bench - there's a recipe on the back, we can use that, it was a gentle suggestion. 
Nope, tried that, it's got a pasta bake recipe, we still have no oven remember! (Yes, that was a little wife dig... could you tell?)

To cut a long story short... he googled chicken and sweet corn soup... and was satisfied with my efforts. It might need a little salt was his last remark. Then he tasted it. And I was the one who got that warm fuzzy soup filled feeling because his next words were so sweet. Delicious to my ears.
"It's great, it doesn't even need the salt!"

And guess what, it was really easy! Here's what I threw in (literally!)

Ingredients:
1 can condensed sweet corn soup
1 mini can of corn kernels
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1 cup cream (or milk)
300g chicken, diced
1 Tbs cornflour
2 eggs

So yes, as I said, I threw in the can of soup, corn kernels and stock along with the cream and water. Stir stir stir. 
Then I added the diced chicken breast. 
The cornflour was added after around an hour of cooking (on high). I mixed the cornflour into a small amount of water then added that to the slow cooker.
It cooked for another hour. Then when it was nearly time to serve we cracked the eggs in and whisked the whole thing really fast to combine them in.
I think we cooked it a little longer because the kiddies were getting into bed and hubby heading to soccer. 

And that was it! 
Delicious Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup - all with things I found in the freezer or pantry!