Monday, May 7, 2012

Sticky Date Pudding in a Mug! Dessert for one is served

 

Blame it on the pregnancy but my goals and emotions are going up and down like a roller-coaster! My cravings for eucalyptus lollies is insatiable! And I've run out! Grrr!! Last week I was looking up raw food recipes in the hope of kicking my addiction to sugar. Tonight I wanted some euco's so bad that I needed a sugar hit, fast!

Perhaps once the baby is here I will kick the sugar!

I was going to make my chocolate mug cake recipe but kind of wanted something sweeter - now that I've eaten what I made even writing this makes me want to run for another glass of water!

Anyway, chocolate mug cake wasn't going to cut it so I decided I'd experiment a little and make a Sticky Date Pudding - for one! :) Out came my Christmas mug (it's the biggest) and off I went grabbing small portions of my ingredients!

The chocolate mug cake gave me a good idea of portions, however, I knew I needed to soften the dates separately first like I would when I make a large pudding so I kind of followed my normal recipe but adjusted to suit small portion and microwave cooking! Amazingly it came together!
Sticky Date Mug Cake - Just For Daisy
Ingredients::

Pudding::
10-12 dates, roughly chopped
2 Tbs boiling water
1 tsp Bicarb soda
1 1/2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbs SR flour
1/2 egg (if you make 2 mugs you won't waste your other half!) Beat separately then add half as needed

Sticky Caramel Sauce::
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 tsp butter
1 tsp milk

Method::
Place the chopped dates and the boiling water in a large mug. Microwave for 50-60 seconds to soften dates. Add the bicarb and mash together, it should fizz a little bit! :)
Add the butter and return to microwave for 15-30 seconds (until butter is melted - small bouts better so you don't overdo it!)
Add the sugar, flour and half egg and stir to mix together well.
Mind didn't overflow but the chocolate one sometimes does so pop it on a small plate and microwave for 1 minute. Check and microwave for 10 second intervals if more time is needed.

In a separate mug combine the sauce ingredients. Microwave for 40 seconds. Stir rapidly. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir again. Microwave for another 30 seconds. It should now be a nice thick consistency. Give it a good stir and...

You're ready to enjoy your pudding!

You can serve it in your mug by pouring the sticky caramel sauce over your pudding or if you're like me you can transfer your pudding to a bowl so you can fit some yummy vanilla ice-cream or a dollop of cream!

Sticky Date Mug Cake - Just For Daisy

This was SUPER sweet... I would probably halve it with hubby next time! 
But if you're feeling extra naughty keep it all to yourself! :)

I'd love to know if you make this! I bet you WANT to!


I think I might experiment with other flavours of mug cake in the future! They come together quite easily and save time, mess and they certainly save me from those late night cravings for sugar!
Save me, what am I talking about - they completely take over!