Thursday, April 14, 2011

{Ruffled Bloomers}

It seems that anything that fits in the categories ruffled, vintage or whimsy is all the go at the moment! And ruffled nappy covers are no exception!

Ashley over at Make It and Love It is sooo handy with a sewing machine and can 'upcycle' anything it would seem! I was so excited when she posted a tutorial on diaper covers! Ashley was able to use a bargain long sleeve dress and create a short sleeve dress with matching diaper cover with ruffles. Clever!

I had tried to make nappy covers before using pretty much the same method (stretching out a bought pair and making a 'rough' pattern!) but I hadn't added extra around the crotch or made the back piece different! So it was great to have Ashley's help to make my first successful pair!


I made my first pair according to her instructions and they turned out super cute! I hadn't used the basting stitch before (long stitch on machine) and this was simpler than hand stitching to ruffle... but I wasn't able to gather it super even either... I was afraid the cotton would snap with all my tugging! Here is how they turned out!



Sooooo....

I decided to use a little 'ruffling knowledge' of my own (I've been known to ruffle a few feathers in my time!) and made a second pair where the ruffles were sewn on the back prior to piecing the nappy cover together. Which meant that the ruffles were sewn into the seam at the sides - this helped with my messy finish. (ie. no overlocker!)



I think they turned out pretty neat! 
Miss Daisy looks just divine with those chubby legs and plump ruffles!

PS. You might recognise this fabric from an earlier post here {and another on all things ruffles - here} - this was one of those fabrics I wanted to save for a really great project - and I'm so happy I used it for this! {I also used a teeny bit for the lettering on this cute bunting

(The broderie anglaise trim is from my Nanna's ribbon/lace stash which I recently came into possession. Loving using her treasures on my new treasures!) xxx




So there is my first attempt at ruffled bloomers! I'm hooked!

~~~~

I can't finish today's post without sharing some blog linky-love!


I must link to Andrea at Andrea Creates again - why, you may ask? 



Well, because she linked back to justfordaisy! My first link-bank! 
Very exciting, thanks a lot Andrea. 
Loved the bunny tutorial - they really looked great with the fabulous table setting at Suzi's Easter Party.

~~~

Anything white is on my beautiful/could look at all day list! 

Image: Copyright: Resolved2Worship
Something else that has me inspired today is Alyssa from Resolved2Worship (blog now closed down!) - she has held her annual Easter Party with her children... remember I showed you her beautiful white inspired decorations a while back? 
Well, the day of their party has come and gone. What a beautiful setting for a party to remember. Definitely worth a look - her photography alone is stunning AND her and the children made all the beautiful shabby white decorations.

Image: Copyright: Resolved2Worship
~~~~

'Til next time... 

my signature