Friday, March 2, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning


My brother and father suffer from Meniers Disease, a disorder of the inner ear that affects balance and hearing to varying degrees. One thing that is reported to help is a low salt-intake diet, which both of them aim to adhere to. And their loving families with them!

It would benefit all of us to reduce our salt intake substantially from what it is with so many additives in pre-packaged foods. 


On Monday I made nachos as a bit of a treat! Yum! It's one of those comfort foods that I convince myself is good because I eat it with mountains of salad! (And sour cream!)

I decided to make my own taco seasoning to flavour the mince for nachos. Unfortunately I didn't have a few of the ingredients listed on recipes I found around the web so I made a little concoction of my own!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Ingredients
1 tsp chili powder (add or subtract according to your taste)
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt (optional - I didn't add any as my Dad was here for dinner)



Method
Mix all spices/ingredients together in a bowl. Ensure it is well combined. Makes approximately 3 Tbs of Taco Seasoning powder.

I browned an onion and 500g premium mince. I added 1 can of drained/washed low salt red kidney beans. Then I added the Homemade Taco Seasoning, 3 Tbs reduced salt tomato paste and 3/4 cup water and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.

It thickened up nicely and tasted delicious. I will be using this from now on for tacos, nachos etc as it was tasty without any of the nasty additives!


What sort of staples do you make yourself? 
I'd love to put some more in my recipe book! :)