For some reason there has been an attraction for playdates to turn into crayon crushing! Once after mother's group and once after we had friends here I've caught Miss Daisy and Co. with a pile of crayon rubble after a game of snap the crayon!
I kept storing them away to one day make ourselves some new crayons with... and sure enough one day finally came after I found a silicone tray that was the perfect size for some easy to hold crayons for little hands!
How to make Homemade Crayons::
You will need:
- assorted broken or used crayons (paper removed and broken into smaller pieces)
- a silicone baking mould/mini muffin tray
- oven preheated to 180'C
1. The long and tedious job of peeling the paper from the crayons. We found the cheaper crayons in our collection had more glue on the paper. So I scored down the side of the paper with a sharp knife and Miss Daisy could then easily pick the wrapper off.
2. Now we broke the crayons into smaller pieces. We decided to group like colours so that we had some crayons in each colour. However, you could make rainbow crayons too!
3. Fill your muffin holes to the top...even a little over is fine. (See pic above) Now place the flexible silicone mould into a baking tray for stability.
4. Place in preheated oven for around 5 minutes or until melted. (Keep your eye on them!)
5. Pull out of oven and allow to cool and harden!
6. Enjoy your new crayons!