Friday, August 29, 2014

The Birth of our little lion cub!

One week old today. And as I sit here snuggled by the fire with my dear baby boy on my chest, each precious breath makes me delight in his early arrival and his seemingly perfect fit into our little family.

We are all smitten by him and the girls have both been wonderful big sisters. 

Let's go back to last Thursday morning... I had my scheduled appointment at 11am and at 39+2 and super uncomfortable I was keen to see my midwife and find out if things were getting closer!

The girls helped our midwife to do my blood pressure, belly measure and Miss Daisy did the Doppler - finding baby first go (she's got really good at it!). 

Then our midwife asked would I like to have an internal to check progress and maybe get things moving along. Yes! Of course the girls decided the toy box was not entertaining at this point so a strategically placed sheet and a rubber glove each to play with kept them occupied!

'Get your knickers on and then we're going to talk about what to do with you' sent me thinking of all sorts of worries and thoughts of c sections and closed cervix! 
Boy was I wrong - 'you're 5cm dilated' was my midwife's first statement as she reentered the room!

As much as this was music to my ears I was baffled too!! I would not be driving the hour home but instead went to my mums 10 minutes away. Then phoned hubby to tell him we'd be heading to the hospital that arvo - to have our baby!

We had agreed it was best for my waters to be broken as if this happened at home we may not make it to the hospital. 
We arrived at the hospital at 2:30pm. We had room 2 - the same room (and bath!) both girls were born in! I was content to know that this familiarity would be there and that we could once again have a waterbirth.

My waters were broken shortly after our arrival and I sat on the bed giggling at the sensation as with both girls my waters had broken during transition and in the water. I sat on the bed for awhile and waited, nothing. Our midwife had said things may or may not start on their own after my waters were broken.

I decided to get up to go to the bathroom and as soon as my feet hit the floor so did the first of my contractions, it was a little after 3:00pm... labour had commenced! I wasn't sure what I should do or where I should go so I found myself sitting on the bed once again. A few contractions which didn't seem very strong had me wondering if I should hop into the shower.

Once again as I stood up another contraction hit... So around 3:20pm I hopped into the shower and enjoyed the hot water on my back and belly. Hubby took some photos that look identical to those of me with Li'l Peppa's birth, quite surreal!

By around 3:40pm I wasn't comfortable standing anymore. Each contraction had me bending over the chair in the shower and bending my knees. Boy things were progressing but surely this was going to take awhile?!

I jumped into the bath around 3:45pm and enjoyed the weightlessness I felt in the water and the comfort of the familiar position I'd taken up with my other births. I felt the urge to go to the toilet and so hopped out of the water and sat on there for the next few contractions. Hubby was on the phone at this point as his laptop had failed that morning and he was trying to get it fixed and recover his files! I motioned to him that he needed to get off the phone right now... and told him to call our midwife in.

She came in and I sheepishly told her that I thought I needed to go to the toilet but now I felt like it was more than that needing to come out!
She said 'I think you need to have a baby!" or something along those lines! It was 4:00pm. I still wasn't convinced that this was it!!

I got back into the bath and used the next few contractions to push out our little boy! At 4:04pm I scooped him up out of the water and into my arms!!

We let the cord continue pulsing for five minutes or so before Daddy cut it. Then Daddy took over skin to skin contact with our lion cub while I got out of the bath and onto the bed to deliver the placenta. 

Then, just over two hours after kissing them goodbye we rang my mum to ask her to bring in our two big girls! 

Suddenly a family of five. Blessed beyond belief! Happy one week little man! You have already won our hearts!