Friday, September 20, 2013

Handmade Princess and the Pea Play Set

Just For Daisy:: Handmade Princess & The Pea Play Set

Today while I should've been packing for our camping trip. I quickly threw this play set together!!
Well, not entirely from scratch - if you follow my instafeed you might remember I posted these pics with the caption 'I'm making something' a while back...and this is it!

So my lint stuffed felt dolly was already sewn with her vintage fabric dress. I'd also already cut the fabric and wadding for all of the 20 mattresses from some new and thrifted fabrics!
Just For Daisy:: Handmade Princess & The Pea Play Set
Today with Miss Daisy by my side I sewed it all together! We added a piece of the thrifted scarf we cut up for our farm play mat as a blanket. The pillow we found one day while op shopping! The pea is a felt ball from our craft box!

Just For Daisy:: Handmade Princess & The Pea Play Set

Just For Daisy:: Handmade Princess & The Pea Play Set

Isn't she just so cute! I cut the whole project out freehand in an hour or so. I used the great instructions from here to help me make the doll. I used felt for all but her dress and only stuffed her dress but basically the same! It's a great pattern to make a 'real doll' too!

And of course it had to have its own bag! Miss Daisy loves this one which I whipped up quickly (10 minutes maybe!) using this pattern and this one to box the corners at the bottom. (Maybe I'll write a bag tutorial combining the two!)
Just For Daisy:: Handmade Princess & The Pea Play Set
Just For Daisy:: Handmade Princess & The Pea Play Set
And there you have it. The sweetest little play set that even the most beginners of sewers can sew!! Would your little one love a set like this? We're already planning to add some other felt characters!

Here's a quick tutorial on how to make the mattresses. Easy - I promise!

1. Raid your scraps. For each mattress you need two pieces of fabric the same size and one piece of batting. 
Just For Daisy:: Handmade Princess & The Pea Play Set
2. Put the two fabric pieces right side together, edges lined up. 
3. Place batting on top. Pin if desired. 
4. Sew around the outside edge leaving about a 2" gap for turning. 
5. Turn right side out and top stitch around border closing the 2" gap as you go. 

I quilted patterns on some and left others plain. What do you think?
I'm pretty happy with how she turned out!

Just For Daisy:: Handmade Princess & The Pea Play Set