Monday, September 16, 2013

Recipe:: Strawberry and Apple Crumble Cake

I'm terrible with birthdays. Gifts are usually late and I can list so many times late had actually been months rather than years!

This week though I sat down for about an hour and did my mums cute gift from start to finish. A sewing success. And a gift she'll receive today - on her birthday! 

I'm also making her cake and I couldn't go past this one! We made it a week or so ago for one of our neighbours birthdays and it was a huge hit. It still tasted great 4 days later when some relatives came for afternoon tea! That's a success!

What you'll need::
200g butter, chopped, room temperature
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, room temperature 
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup milk

Topping:
200g strawberries
1 apple, sliced thinly
1/2 cup plain flour
60g butter
1/4 cup brown sugar

What you'll do::
1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in good processor or with electric beaters until creamy and pale. Lots!
2. Add eggs one at a time and process 'til smooth. 
3. In a separate bowl combine flours. Fold in butter mixture and milk. 
4. Spoon batter into a greased/lined springform pan. Smooth the top. 
5. Arrange apple slices on top. Then strawberries. I like to push some strawberries into the batter so you'll see them when the cake is cut! :)
6. In a small bowl crumble the butter into flour with your hands until fine. Add brown sugar and stir well. 
7. Sprinkle the sugar mix evenly over cake. 
8. Bake in preheated 180'C oven for 1 hour or until a skewer comes our clean. Cool in pan then transfer to a wire rack or plate!
Seriously. This one should go on your to do list. Then I'm sure like me you'll do it again and again! You could change up the fruit on top to your own taste preference!

Here's my little helper. She was super patient awaiting the bowls readiness for licking! I love her genuine interest in baking - she's amazing!

And here are some proud mama shots! My little peekaboo and Miss Daisy painting Nanna's wrapping paper. Then writing (tracing solo) a birthday message. Her letter formation is really improving and I love how she verbalises how to 'draw' each one. 

Happy Birthday Nanna!! xox