Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Baking - Best Shortbread Recipe

Shortbread ... My way
This is a really lovely shortbread recipe... it came with my stainless steel cookie cutters 

which I bought a few years back from "King of Knives".

Ingredients
You will need 
200g butter (softened)
100g icing sugar
200g plain flour
100g corn flour

Method

Step 1: Beat the butter and icing sugar together until light in colour and well blended. 

I use electric beaters. 


Step 2: Add the flour and cornflour and mix to form a dough. I use a s/steel tablespoon to mix for as long as I can, then I knead it in the bowl using my hands to bring it together. 

(Add a little extra flour if it's too sticky)


Step 3: On a sheet of greaseproof paper, knead out the dough into a flat disc shape.

Then wrap it in cling wrap and place in fridge for 15 minutes (this rests the dough and it's better to work with cold).




Step 4: Preheat oven to 160'C

Step 5: Take dough out of fridge and cut in half so it's easy to work with.  Roll out the dough on a sheet of greaseproof paper to about 1/2 cm thick. You can lay a sheet on top too to help your rolling pin stop sticking. It's also a good idea to keep you unused dough in the fridge (especially in Summer) so that it's cool when you're ready to work with it. Chilled dough comes away from the cutters easier and can prevent the cookies spreading during cooking.



Step 6: Using a cookie cutter of your choice, cut out shapes and place on a greased/lined baking tray. (These cookie trays were super new but now they're a little more loved I use a sheet of greaseproof paper - I reuse the same sheet a few times per batch!)


Step 7: Sprinkle caster sugar over the top of each piece of shortbread. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool. You want to err on the side of undercooked with shortbread. They should not have any browning or much colour to them at all! :)


As usual I forgot to take a 'finished' picture before sending them off to people! 
I'm sure you can imagine what they looked like! Will take a photo of the next batch all wrapped up! :)

R x

Here's a cute pic of my li'l helper!


We also use this recipe at Easter time and future Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Hey bek! I didnt know you had a blog....very cool! Love all the baking tips I have seen so far. BTW your little girl is just soooo gorgeous!Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kait! xx I will be stopping by your blog as you keep going with it! Looks great so far! xxx Loooove your scrapbooking! Wish I had the time/money!! (oh, and the creativity!) xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.
I read all comments and will respond as best I can!
Thanks for visiting!

Rebekah