Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Valentine's Day Role Play: Making Felt Mail with free printable pattern


After going handmade this Christmas I am going to reuse one of my Christmas gift ideas for Valentine's Day! Three of my nieces received their very own felt mailbox with felt mail! It was quite quick and easy to make each of these sets and makes for a great role play set that the whole family can enjoy!

Just For Daisy :: Felt Envelope Pattern free printable

Just For Daisy :: Valentine's Envelope PatternI have created a free printable for you to create your own felt envelopes for Valentine's Day or any day really! (Click the image to the right to download your free copy) Your child will love to receive notes from you all year 'round. And what a great way for them to develop their own writing skills by sharing notes with others too!

These are really simple to make. Either as a machine or hand-sewn project or a quick project with the glue gun!

Simply print out the free pattern by clicking the picture to the right and follow these simple instructions! Use your own creativity to create a variety of fun postage stamps. Perhaps you'd like to create some felt letters or love hearts to go inside.
Use decorative stitches on your sewing machine to create a different look on each of your letters. The options are endless.

These fabulous felt envelopes can be themed for any time of year. Try making some at Christmas time or Easter. Maybe even a letter for the tooth fairy. Your child will love receiving their own 'mail'.

Here's what you'll need:

- Just For Daisy's free Valentine's envelope pattern
- 1 piece of wool felt
- sewing machine (optional)
- or needle/thread
- or glue gun
- scissors

Here's what to do:

I used a scalloped rotary cutter to create the jagged edge around my stamps. You could do this with scissors! :) The large hearts were cut free hand to put in the finished envelopes!




These can be hand sewn or you might like to use a glue gun to create your own felt mail!
I'd love to hear from you if you make these! Feel free to share a pic on the Just For Daisy facebook page!

Keep your eyes on the blog for a tutorial later this week on how to make a very simple felt mailbox for your child to store/receive their mail in!


And if you're in the mood for Valentine's Day.. take a look at this fabulous photo shoot by the beautiful Alyssa from Resolved 2 Worship.
And you might like to make some Valentine's Swirl Cupcakes or a cute cushion.







23 comments:

  1. These are divine Rebeka and you're right they look so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! They were simple! Let me know if you make some! :)

      Delete
  2. Adorable. You are so talented with your sewing skills. These are too cute...
    I can't wait to have a girl and use some of your ideas ;-) ill be pinning this one for later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! :) It's lots of fun! Yes, girls certainly inspire sewing!

      Delete
  3. These are so adorable! I envy your sewing skills. I have a sewing machine that I've never used because I'm afraid of it. This might just inspire me to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go Ness... it's all straight stitching, and easy on felt! Children are also very forgiving recipients of sewn gifts and they'd make a great present for a little friend! :) Let me know when you make them, I'd love to see!

      Delete
  4. I love these Bekk, they are adorable! Pinning now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there :) Thanks for linking this to Tuesday Tots. Just letting you know that I've featured this post on this week's TTs. You can see it here: (http://www.learnwithplayathome.com/2013/01/10-fun-valentines-activities-for.html) and collect a featured button if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature! I'll head over and grab a button! :) x

      Delete
  6. Wow my girls would love these. Super cute. To bad i don't sew though, was just never any good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bek you could definitely just use glue or a glue gun... if you've got a machine though it's ALL straight stitching so give it a go! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi :) Thanks for sharing this on the Kid's Co-Op! I loved your Christmas mail box and letters (I have to admit though I haven't got around to making them :( though) and it is so lovely to see them rehashed for Valentine's! I have pinned this and I am featuring this activity on Triple T Mum's Kid's Co-Op Showcase tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature! Definitely keep them in mind - kids will love them any time of year!

      Delete
  8. These are just adorable! I picked up some little mailboxes planning to leave lil' surprises in them each day for my kiddos....now I think I need to whip up some of these too cute envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! I'd love to see a photo on my facebook page when you do! :) Have fun!

      Delete
  9. I'm sure i already commented here Bek...these are adorable and i can't wait to make some for the girls using your pattern! Featuring you in my Weekly Kid's Co-Op post this week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jodie I've had comments hiccups! So thanks for taking the time to comment again! x And for the feature!

      Delete
  10. These are adorable! I am featuring them this week on the weekly kids co-op at Housing A Forest. I can't wait to see what you link up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made these last night. Thank you SO much! Going to have one happy little girl on V-day morning! I'll post a pic on Instagram and tag you! :) LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.
I read all comments and will respond as best I can!
Thanks for visiting!

Rebekah