We've been trying to increase her fibre intake of late and so I made some yummy whole wheat muffins.
I had a recipe for Bran Muffins in my 'Muffin Bible' so I changed it up a bit to make it a little more appetizing for fussy taste buds!
Honey, Bran & Choc Chip Muffins
1 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
1 1/4 cups oat bran
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I make my own, scroll down to see how!)
1/4 cup honey
2 tblsp rice bran oil (or vegetable oil)
1/4 cup choc chips
- Combine flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda & choc chips in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, beat together buttermilk, egg, honey and oil.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. (It might seem a little wet. Let it sit while you grease or line your muffin pans and it'll thicken up a little!)
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans. (I made 48 mini muffins)
- Bake in preheated oven at 190'C for 15-20 minutes, or until they spring back when touched.
These were a hit! Miss Daisy ate several of them after her lunch and a couple more on our trip to the shops for coffee/babycino's with Nanna! Success! Yum!
Making your own buttermilk is easy and cost effective. The way I learned to do it was to add a little lemon juice to your regular milk. I usually use 1 cup of milk to 1 Tbs of lemon juice. Stir well and let sit for around 10 minutes. Then use as per your recipe! Easy and cheaper than buying speciality milk!